This guide demonstrates how to use collections in Secoda.
Using Collections is a great way to organize your workspace. You can think of a Collection as a folder that hosts a group of resources (tables, columns, dashboards, dictionary terms, documents, questions) pertaining to one particular subject.
These folders can be organized however makes sense to your organization, but here's an example:
Example Collections for Customer Support Function
Let's say you created a Team called "Customer Support" in order to organize resources relevant to that Team.
Next, you were hoping to organize the content into a few separate folders, so you create one Collection called "Customer Information" and another called "Customer Support OKRs".
In the Customer Information Collection you add the following resources:
- Dictionary metrics like daily active users and last login
- Data columns and tables from the Catalog like customer_name, plan_type, renewal_date
- Documents explaining different processes while working with customers
In the Customer Support OKR Collection you add the following resources:
- Dictionary metrics like customer satisfaction, net promoter score, churn rate
- Dashboards from the Catalog showing customer health metrics
- Documents embedded with the Excel tracking sheet you use to report on OKRs
To create a Collection, navigate to the Collections page and click on "New Collection". After naming the Collection and creating it you can navigate to the collection to add resources and update the metadata on a collection.
There are a few ways that you can add a resource to a Collection:
On the Collection page, you can add a resource to the Collection by clicking the "Add resource" button. After clicking the button, search for the resource you'd like to add and select the resource. The resource will be added to the Collection in the respective tab for the resource type.
On a resource page, you can add a resource to a Collection by opening up the right properties side bar, and clicking on the Collections selector.
You can nest a collection when first creating a collection or after a collection has been created. To nest a collection when it's being created, set the "Parent" collection in the creation modal.
To add a nested collection after the collection has been created, navigate to a collection and click "Add resource" and then search for the collection you'd like to be nested inside the current selected collection.
- Create Collections for specific sub-teams within a Team (Example: The "Data" Team could have separate Collections for "Business Intelligence" and "Data Science" sub-teams)
- In the General team, create a “Company” Collection for the entire company to see key metrics
- Create an “Investor” Collection for data shared with investors
- Create an “Onboarding” Collection to help new employees learn about the key data resources across the company